What you need:
1. Letters, printed on cardstock from your word processing program.
2. EPS foam or Styrofoam blanks. Packing boxes and insulation panels are the most common forms to use. Available at businesses that receive refrigeratable items, like pharmacies, laboratories, etc. The big box stores have insulation and or styrofoam panels.
3. Hotwire machine. I make my own, which will be in another instructable. They are readily available at hobby shops or on the internet.
4. Acrylic paint as needed. Glue to mount letters and strips of edging material.
5. Straight pins.
6. Piece of cardboard, matboard, masonite or material of your choice to mount letters. I have glued them to tile for a special effect!
7. Colored paper to make edge strips for your sign.