Introduction: How I Made a Rocking Chair Fly
The Outer Space Ultralight Rocking Chair powered by it's patented Photo-voltaic Crystal Chip. The following slides contain a list of some of the materials used to create the OSULRC-1 . If you just want to watch a rocking chair fly, the first three minutes on Amazon are free: original movie "Elliot's War".
Step 1: Camera Rigging
Middle right image is a home made (this entire project was home made, literally) camera rig designed to allow the camera to travel smoothly up and around the OSULRC-1. The rigging is made from 2x4 joist bracket and some wood. The long 2x4 was lightly sanded and wiped with beeswax to make the surface smooth to slide the camera rig across. Space was cramped in a two car garage with a three sided green screen made from door skin and held in place by 2x4 and 4x4. In general the prop was too close to the green screen, casting shadows and causing artifacts in the video, however with careful lighting I avoided most of that.
Step 2: Add a Jet Engine, Engine Compartment and on Board Computer
1) A spare Boston rocker. One which the dog chewed the legs will do
2) An electric scooter that your son/daughter has out grown
3) A skate board, re-use the wheels
4) The guts to a 1920 Strober Player piano that you were going to restore, but sold the piano without
5) Switches, motors, connectors, wire, lights, batteries, stereo, speakers, commander keen software, keyboard, custom cigarette lighters for engines
6) Electronics and computer parts that you've been saving for ten years (motherboards, memory chips, gameboy, palm pilot, expansion cards...)
7) Door skin (some call it "luan"), 2x4 and 4x4, green paint for the green screen and camera rigging
8) Shop tools, worms, fog machine
9) Screen writing course, original music and imagination
Step 3: BOM, Costs and Notes
Step 4: Timeline and Cost Analysis
Step 5: Before Drones There Was Camera Rigging Attached to Kites for Aerial Shots
Actors all signed releases. Guardians signed if actor under age of 18. All graphics used are public domain. Movie cut down from original 45 minutes to 30 minutes before release on Amazon to remove graphics I could not secure permissions to use.
Step 6: Gears and Stereo Installed
To move the player piano gear box and provide in flight surround sound
Step 7: Google Sketch-up Was Used to Create This Image of the Console and Others
The array of element generating bellows on the OSURC-1 work with photo-voltaic crystal chip to provide gravity, oxygen, radiation protection and speed during space flight (he writes with a wink).
Step 8: Raw Materials and Maiden Voyage
Three original songs used in the movie can be purchased on Google Play