I had two objectives when I built this:
- Cheap as possible
It was cheap (relatively), and it worked (albeit not as good as i hoped). The problem with the CNC was it did not have enough lateral strength on the X- or Y-Axis. That meant it would not be too accurate, I could not repeat the same cut twice, and the machine was only good for drilling holes. So as I move on to the next generation, I thought I'd share what I learned this first go-around as I deconstruct my first CNC (on my wife's kitchen table).
MATERIALS (Remember, I tried to keep it cheap)
Things I bought:
- 3-Axis Kit from Probotix (works like a champ, saving for another project)
- Drawer Slides as Linear Rails (2 for the X-Axis, 2 for the Y-Axis, 1 for the Z-Axis)
- Two 1/2" MDF handy-panels (2' x 4' each)
- 1/4"-20 threaded rod for lead screws
- 1/4"-20 coupling nuts
- small set screws (3)
- Wood Glue
Things I had laying around:
- Dremel Rotary tool
- Screws; all shapes and sizes
- Scrap wood
- Angle Aluminum
Tools I used:
- small drill press
- table saw
- hand drill
Lets get started with the deconstruction...
Step 1: 3-Axis Kit
Its a solid kit, included power supply, breakout board, drivers, and steppers. I bought the smallest one for this venture. ribbon cables were provided to connect the drivers to the breakout board.
To connect the driver to the steppers, I used standard CAT5e network patch cables. I punched down the wires of the stepper into a RJ45 jack to accept the patch cable. Cheap and effective. My buddy doubted the CAT5e, but I was pushing such low power, it didn't matter.