To enter you need to submit a 30-second video here on Instructables that explains how to do something neat. Your project can be practical or fun, just keep it short and sweet! There's space to write up a bit of background - why you chose to demo this specific project, idea, or skill - as well as for any links you may want to include, so your video can be all about the action.
To show your video was made for this contest, you need to start with a 2-second shot of the contest image! You can either print it out here and hold it up to the camera or add in this image here with video-editing software.
Here's an example:
Upload your video to your favorite hosting service (YouTube, Blip, Metacafe, etc) and embed it here then write up a brief bit of background and explanation, including any links you may need.
International entries are OK.
Multiple entries to the contest are allowed, but each entrant can only win one prize.
PrizesFirst Prize (6 winners)
Flip MinoHD camcorder to make sure you catch all the action around you on video.
Plus an Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers.
Runner Up (6 winners)
Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers.
Open to enter: August 5, 2009 12:01 AM PDT
Deadline for entries: September 14, 2009 11:59 PM PDT
View Contest now!
Step 1: Official Rules
To enter the "Forbes Teach Me Fast Contest" embed a 30-second instructional video you've created, along with any accompanying text, as a "Video Instructable" at Instructables.com. Instructables may require registration to complete your upload.
You may enter as many different Instructables as you like. However, you may win only one prize.
Entries must be received by September 13, 2009 (11:59 PST)
2. All potential federal, state, and local taxes on prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. No purchases are necessary; void where prohibited by law.
3. Participants agree to abide by all decisions of Instructables, Forbes and judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to this contest.
4. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and Instructables and Forbes make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
5. Prizes: 12 prizes: 6 runner up prizes, and 6 first prizes will be awarded.
Runner up winners will receive an Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers. First prize winners will receive a Flip MinoHD video camera, plus an Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers. The Total Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") of all prizes is $1,740.
6. Judging: Entries will be scored based on quality of instruction, creativity of execution, and richness of project documentation.
Entries shall include the following: a Video Instructable including one embedded 30-second video and an accompanying description.
Potential winners will be contacted by email to verify eligibility, and results will be announced by posting on both the Instructables and Forbes websites within one week of the closing date of the contest (September 21, 2009).
7. Sponsors reserve the right to modify, cancel, postpone or end the contest at any time as necessary, at their sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner, at their sole discretion, deemed to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this contest.
8. Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual they find, in their sole discretion, to be in violation of these Official Contest Rules; to be acting in an unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
9. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you represent and warrant that: you are over the age of 18, or entering with the knowledge and permission of your parent or guardian (subject to verification), and that the entry does not contain or incorporate the intellectual property and/or confidential information of any third party. You further acknowledge that submission of an entry is subject to these Official Contest Rules and the Instructables Terms and Conditions of Use, found at https://www.instructables.com/tos.html.
If you are selected as a potential finalist in this contest, you may be required to notarize and return an affidavit of eligibility, statement confirming original authorship, and warrant of liability to contest Sponsors within 4 business days of receipt of these materials. If you cannot or do not return these materials within 4 business days, you will no longer be eligible for placement in the content and Sponsors reserve the right to select an alternative potential finalist.
In the event that the email addresses submitted is inactive and we cannot contact you, Sponsors reserve the right to select alternate potential finalists. You may be asked to consent to a background check according to the discretion of the contest Sponsors.
10. Conditions of Participation: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except the Sponsors reserve the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsors' sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsors to use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Contest Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsors, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any (video(s), photo(s), essay, etc.), and other materials submitted as part of Entrant's Contest entry are original and will not constitute an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such recipe(s). In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Instructables and Forbes a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant's submitted video along with Entrant's name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media, including but not limited to, on Forbes' website, www.forbes.com, for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, statement confirming original authorship, a Liability Release and where legally permissible a Publicity Release within 4 business days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the video and other materials submitted are original and have never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsors and their agencies to use Winner's name and/or likeness, biographical information, video, Teach Me Fast Contest entry and photograph and/or other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold Sponsors and their promotional partners, its directors, officers, employees, subsidiaries, affiliates, parent and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury, death or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion or privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or his been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which Sponsors deem likely to subject Sponsors, the entrant or winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsors in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsors after a winner has received notice of his prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsors may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsors may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of Sponsors are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsors are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
11. Internet: Sponsors is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsors or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsors reserve the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The "authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned.
12. Severability: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
13. Governing Law: This contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York, Southern District without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
14. Sponsors: Forbes Media LLC (60 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016) and Instructables, Inc. (489 Clementina St., 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103) are the sponsors of this contest.