Introduction: How to Enter Klutz Rubber Band-Powered Contest
We've teamed up with Klutz Booksto help stretch your imagination. Harness the power of rubber bands to build something really cool, and share your project on Instructables for the chance to win some great Klutz books and Instructables gear!
We're looking for fun, kid-friendly projects you can do in an afternoon or weekend using materials that are cheap and easy to find. Recycled household items are perfect for this! All types of rubber band-powered entries are eligible, with one exception: no weapons of any kind.
We'll be giving away 3 First Prizes (two selected by user votes, and one Judge's Choice) as well as a Special Flying Contraption Prize and awards for 10 Runners-up.
So look around, find some rubber bands and a co-pilot, and get to work building something awesome!
Bonus:All contest entries will be considered for inclusion in future Klutz books. If Klutz editors pick your project, you'll be credited in the book, and awarded a great set of Klutz books!
PrizesFirst Prize (3 winners) and a special Judge's Choice Award (1 winner) will go to the best Flying Contraption!
Five Klutz Books of your choice, plus an Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers!
An Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers.
Open to enter: March 19, 2009 12:01 AM PST
Deadline for entries: April 19, 2009 11:59 PM PST
View Contest now!
Step 1: Read the Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
1. By entering the Contest, you affirm that you have read and accepted these Official Rules.
2. To enter the Contest, post an Instructable describing a rubber-band-powered contraption of your own invention in the Klutz Contest area of the Instructables website (https://www.instructables.com/contest/rubberband/) no later than April 19, 2009 at 11:59pm (PST). The Instructable must include a) instructions that provide enough detail for our judges to replicate the project, and b) a minimum of three pictures, including one close-up of the completed project. All types of rubber band-powered entries are eligible, with one exception: no weapons of any kind. Rubber-band powered flying contraptions will be eligible for the Best Flying Contraption prize (see #4). ONLINE ENTRY IS THE ONLY MEANS OF ENTRY.
3. Contest open to legal residents of the U.S. and Canada (excluding Quebec) ages 13 and older. By submitting an entry and entering this Contest, you represent and warrant that the entry does not contain or incorporate the intellectual property and/or confidential information of any third party. Contest is not open to employees of Klutz, Scholastic Inc. or Instructables, and their respective affiliates and subsidiaries, and their respective advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies (collectively, the Contest Parties), and the immediate family members of each. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
4. From April 20, 2009 at 12:00 AM PST to April 26, 2009 at 11:59 PM PST, registered members of Instructables.com will be able to vote on the best rubber-band-powered contraption. Members' votes will select the top fifteen finalists. Judges from Klutz and Instructables will select three (3) First Prize winners and ten (10) runners up from those finalists. In addition, judges from Klutz and Instructables will select the winner of the best flying contraption, chosen from all entries for the special Best Flying Contraption prize. Judges will base their decisions on contraptions' functionality, ease of building, and coolness (to be determined in the judges' sole discretion). Participants agree to abide by all decisions of Instructables, Klutz, and judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to this Contest. Instructables will announce winners on or about May 4, 2009.
5. All entries, including but not limited to prizewinners, will be considered for inclusion in Klutz's future books featuring rubber-band-powered contraptions (the Klutz Books). In the event a non-winning entry is selected for inclusion in any Klutz Book(s), such entrant shall receive 5 Klutz books of their choice, chosen from books currently in print and featured in the Klutz catalog (see www.klutz.com). (Approximate Retail Value $90.00) in full and complete consideration of any and all rights granted to Klutz and Instructables in connection with their entry being included in any and all such Klutz Books and such entrant (and his/her parent or legal guardian in the event such entrant is a minor) agrees to sign such further documentation confirming such grant of rights without any further compensation or notice except the foregoing. By submitting an entry and entering this Contest, you hereby grant Instructables and Klutz a perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty-free right to reproduce, modify, publicly display, publish and distribute your entry in connection with the Contest, its promotion, and any subsequent products and or services, including but not limited to the Klutz Books, in any and all media now known or hereafter developed.
6. Prizes: First Prize: Three (3) First Prize Winners will receive 5 Klutz books of their choice, chosen from books currently in print and featured in the Klutz catalog (see www.klutz.com), and an Instructables prize pack including a t-shirt, patch, and stickers. (Approximate Retail Value $125.00) Ten (10) runners up will receive 2 Klutz books of their choice, chosen from books currently in print and featured in the Klutz catalog (see www.klutz.com), and an Instructables prize pack including a t-shirt, patch, and stickers. (Approximate Retail Value $65.00) One (1) Best Flying Contraption prizewinner will receive 5 Klutz books of their choice, chosen from books currently in print and featured in the Klutz catalog (see www.klutz.com), and an Instructables prize pack including a t-shirt, patch, and stickers. (Approximate Retail Value $125.00) Prizes are not transferable and no cash alternative or prize substitution is available, except Instructables and Klutz reserve the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value if the prize listed is unavailable for any reason. All potential winners shall be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability within five (5) business days or an alternate winner may be selected. Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and Instructables and Klutz make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
7. By entering this Contest, you agree that the Contest Parties will have no liability or responsibility for injuries, losses or damages of any kind resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize or participation in this Contest and they will be held harmless against any claims arising directly or indirectly from the use of any prizes or participation in the Contest.
8. The Contest Parties shall not be liable for (a) telephone, electronic, program, network, Internet, or computer delays, deletions, interruptions or other failures of any kind; (b) late, lost, damaged, failed, misdirected, incomplete, garbled, unintelligible, or delayed computer messages; or (c) any human error that may occur in the processing of any entry, nor are they responsible for any theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries, whether caused by the sender or any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of a person submitting an entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the Authorized Account Holder of the e-mail address at the time of entry. Authorized Account Holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned the e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
9. The Contest Parties shall not be liable for any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from entering the Contest or creating entries for the Contest. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Contest will be ineligible for prizes.
10. Instructables and Klutz reserve the right to modify, cancel, postpone or end the Contest at any time as necessary, at their sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner, at their sole discretion, deemed to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this Contest.
11. Instructables and Klutz reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual they find, in their sole discretion, to be in violation of the Terms of Service; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; to be acting in an unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
12. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the official rules, or the rights of entrants, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of California and any applicable laws and regulations of the United States.
13. Winners List: For a list of winners, go to www.instructables.com/contest/rubberband after May 5, 2009, or send a self addressed stamped envelope to Klutz, 450 Lambert Ave. Palo Alto, CA 94306 after May 4, 2009 and before June 30, 2009.
14. Sponsor: KLUTZ , 450 Lambert Ave., Palo Alto, CA 94306
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.