Introduction: How to Enter the Hungry Scientist Contest
We all love to eat, but food is best when you add a bit of creativity! TheHungry Scientist Handbook celebrates that overlap of food, science, and technology, so we're giving you the chance to share your ideas, win some great prizes, and maybe even be included in the next Hungry Scientist book!
Break out your kitchen skills to make something creative and delicious. It could be food-based electronics, your latest molecular gastronomy scientific break through, or even a traditional recipe or technique -- anything edible it falls into this category. We can't wait to see what you are working on. Extra points for creativity, and for explaining the science behind what you've made.
Kitchen Tool Hacking
Take those old kitchen contraptions and turn them into something new and cool, or hack together some spare parts to make your own home-brew kitchen tools. Maybe you've made your own camp stove, built a welder out of old microwave parts, custom-branded your toast, or created a 3D chocolate printer with a pile of Legos -- here's your chance to show it off! Start tinkering, and see what you can build from old toasters, egg separators, and coffee grinders!
Note: International entries are eligible.
First Prize (1 winner per category)
Winner's choice of either a Kitchen Aid mixer, a super nice knife set, or a Le Creuset Enamel Cast Iron Cook Set. Plus an Instructables robot t-shirt and a copy of the Hungry Scientist Handbook.
Second Prize (5 winners per category) A Wusthof Gourmet 3" Paring Knife , plus an Instructables robot t-shirt and a copy of the Hungry Scientist Handbook. (you can always use another good paring knife.)
Runner Up (5 winners per category)
Instructables patch & stickers and a copy of the Hungry Scientist Handbook.
Open to enter: Sep 17, 2008 12:01 AM PST
Deadline for entries: Oct 26, 2008 11:59 PM PST
[/contest/hungryscientist/ View Contest now!]
Step 1: Official Rules
1. All federal, state, and local taxes on prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. No purchases are necessary; void where prohibited by law.
2. Participants agree to abide by all decisions of Instructables, contest co-sponsors, and judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to this contest.
3. Prize is not transferable and no cash alternative or prize substitution is available. Instructables and contest co-sponsors reserve the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value if the prize listed is unavailable for any reason. All potential winners are subject to verification at the discretion of Instructables and contest co-sponsors.
4. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and Instructables and contest co-sponsors make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
5. Instructables and contest co-sponsors are not responsible for problems including (but not limited to) damaged, incorrect, inaccurate, lost, delayed, or defective entries, or for injury or damage to any computer resulting from participation in this contest. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void.
6. Instructables reserves the right to modify, cancel, postpone or end the contest at any time as necessary, at its sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner, at its sole discretion, deemed to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this contest.
7. Instructables reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of the Terms of Service; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; to be acting in a unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you represent and warrant that: you are over the age of 18, or entering with the knowledge and permission of your parent or guardian (subject to verification), and that the entry does not contain or incorporate the intellectual property and/or confidential information of any third party.
9. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you hereby grant Instructables and Hungry Scientist a perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty free right to publish and distribute your entry for their promotional purposes.
10. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the official rules, or the rights of entrants, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the substance laws of the State of California and any applicable laws and regulations of the United States.