Introduction: How to Make a Jacobs Ladder
This instructable will show you how to make a fully working Jacobs Ladder.
You may have seen Jacob ladders in those old Frankenstein movies where you see electricity travelling up two wires disappearing then re appearing at the base of the ladder.
WARNING: This project uses HIGH VOLTAGES which can kill you. I wont say don't try this at home as it is a fun project but be EXTREMELY careful.
Also This is my first INSTRUCTABLE.
Please feel free to leave comments.
Step 1: Your Components
1x Transformer. (Should be at least 9kv. My one is a 12KV one which i got free from a neon sign shop. If you say your making a Jacobs ladder they will usually give it to you for free or for a low price.)
1x 2m extension cord
Ordinary Steel Wire
A base for mounting everything
Wire Strippers and a scissor
Step 2: Assembling the Components
1. Cut the end of the extension cord where you would plug the device into. Strip the three wires and attach them into their appropriate ports. Brown- Live, Blue- Neutral, Yellow/Green- Earth.
2. Then get some lengths of copper wire and insulate it with the insulation tape then attach it to the 2 High Voltage lines.
3. Gets two equal lenths of the steel wire. Bend it at the bottom so the bit of wire bent should be 90 degrees to the vertical bit. Using insulation tape stick the two bits of wire to the base.
4. Attach the 2 high voltage lines to each of the steel wires.
5. The trickiest bit would be adjusting the angle length so the electricity goes all the way to the top.
6. If your electricity rises up the wires and stays at the top then flare out the tips of the wire
7. Once you check all the connections then plug it in. Turn it on.
Guaranteed to impress family members