Introduction: How to Make Magnetic Slime
- WARNING: Extremely strong magnets are part of experiment. Keep all electronics away while doing this experiment.
- HAVE FUN!
- Make sure to read all the instructions before beginning.
- Please be sure to wear your plastic gloves during the whole experiment. It is not harmful to your skin, this is only to keep your hands clean.
- Close supervision required if children are present. Magnets are harmful if swallowed!!
- This fun project works best with an assistant to help you while your hands get dirty.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
- Gloves (form fitting work best, you will need several. Unless you don't mind getting a little dirty.)
- Liquid Starch
- Elmer's Glue
- Black Iron Oxide (the best website to buy it is here)
- Disposable Bowls
- Craft Sticks (for stirring)
- 1/4 cup & 1 Tablespoon for measuring
- Paper Towels
- Small Storage Containers
- Neodymium Magnets (Strong rare earth magnets, you can find them at your local home improvement store)
Step 2: Prep Work Station
Cover your workstation with newspaper to protect from spills.
Step 3: Stay Clean
Put your gloves on for protection. The black iron oxide is not toxic to your skin, but can be messy. Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
Step 4: Pour Liquid Starch
Measure & pour 1/4 cup of liquid starch into a bowl.
Step 5: Add Black Iron Oxide
- Measure and add 2 Tablespoons of Black Iron Oxide into the bowl and stir until well mixed.
Step 6: Pour Elmer's Glue
Measure and add 1/4 cup of Elmer's glue into the mixture and keep stirring until slime comes together.
- It is normal to see liquid remaining in the bowl after slime comes together. Do not panic, just leave it in the bowl.
Step 7: Knead the Slime
Take the slime out of the bowl and knead in your hands. Squish until well mixed. (About 2-3 minutes)
Step 8: Remove Excess Moisture
- Place slime down on 3 layered paper towels.
- Change gloves and proceed to pick up slime with paper towels
- Use paper towels to squeeze out moisture
- When you feel you have squeezed enough moisture out, you can proceed to the next step.
Step 9: Play
Test your slime with the magnets. Be creative and have fun! ***REMEMBER TO BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS WHEN LETTING CHILDREN HANDLE MAGNETS.
Step 10: Store the Slime
Store the slime in an airtight container when you are done playing with it.