I offer this Instructable to those who have never made solar tea but would like to give it a try. Solar tea is not only better for the environment because you use no energy but it is very easy to make. It also tastes less bitter than tea that is "over cooked" or over heated by hot water.
Additionally, it is much safer to make solar tea than tea made with boiling water. Spill solar heated tea on yourself and it's no big deal, spill boiling water on yourself and OUCH! You could be on the way to the emergency room. (I been there! I had a half filled pitcher of boiling water explode on me one summer. It was not fun.)
This Instructable will make 1 gallon of delicious iced tea.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients and Tools
* Water (filtered is best but optional) - enough to fill jar
**Do not use hot water from the tap!! It is not healthy to drink.
* * Loose leaf - 5-6 tsp. (RECOMMENDED!) OR
* * Bags - 7 regular or 3 family size
* Sugar - 3/4 to 1 cup Or to taste
* Lemon slices
* Sunny day
* Large Jar w/Lid (pickle jar, etc) - atleast 32 oz
* Pitcher- 1 gallon (glass is best)
* Large wooden spoon
* Measuring cup
* Tea strainer (if using loose leaf tea)
* Knife and cutting board (if adding lemon slices)
* Large glass (Mason jars are preferred)