Additionally, it is much safer to make solar tea than tea made with boiling water. Spill solar heated tea on yourself and it's no big deal, spill boiling water on yourself and OUCH! You could be on the way to the emergency room. (I been there! I had a half filled pitcher of boiling water explode on me one summer. It was not fun.)
This Instructable will make 1 gallon of delicious iced tea.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients And Tools
* Water (filtered is best but optional) - enough to fill jar
**Do not use hot water from the tap!! It is not healthy to drink.
* * Loose leaf - 5-6 tsp. (RECOMMENDED!) OR
* * Bags - 7 regular or 3 family size
* Sugar - 3/4 to 1 cup Or to taste
* Lemon slices
* Sunny day
* Large Jar w/Lid (pickle jar, etc) - atleast 32 oz
* Pitcher- 1 gallon (glass is best)
* Large wooden spoon
* Measuring cup
* Tea strainer (if using loose leaf tea)
* Knife and cutting board (if adding lemon slices)
* Large glass (Mason jars are preferred)
Step 2: Prepare Tea Infusion
Make sure everything is clean--no pickle smell in jar!
Fill jar with water.
Put on lid on jar, close tightly.
Step 3: Solarize Tea
Place jar on hard surface, in the sun.
*A concrete surface will work best - patio, balconey, etc.
Leave for 15-30 minutes (depending on temperature of weather).
When infusion turns a rich brown, bring inside to finish preparing.
*Let your infusion get dark as you may have to add more water (depending on the size of your jar) in order to make a gallon.