These instructions will help the reader patch a punctured presta valve tube for the front tire of their bicycle. You will first learn how to remove the tire and tube in order to inspect it for holes. You will then be instructed on how to patch the tube before finally returning the tube and tire to the wheel.
Step 3: Removing the Tire/Tube
1. Flip your bike upside down so that it rests on the seat and handlebars
2. Pull quick release lever into a horizontal position, then loosen the tire by holding the quick release cap in place and turning the quick release lever counter clockwise
3. Unattach the brakes by locating the brake latch below the tire, pulling the rubber back, pushing the two sides together and lifting metal piece off
4. Lift wheel off of suspension fork
5. Unscrew the black plastic cap from the air valve, and loosen the metal top until you can depress it; release the air from the tube by depressing the air valve until the tire can be flattened against the ground.
6. Remove the lock nut from the air valve
7. Insert bike tire lever tool using the spoon end, push tire towards one side with one hand and with the other use the tool as a lever to pull the tire over the rim sidewall.
8. Fasten the lever tool to the spoke using the hook end.
9. Insert second tool spoon-side under the tire.
10. Hold tire with one hand, hold the unattached tool and pull it towards yourself, continuing around the entire circumference of the tire until the one entire side is outside of the rim sidewall
11. With one side of the tire off, push the air valve up until it comes out of the rim, then pull tube out one side and remove it completely