Instructables

How To Take Apart A Microwave

tylervitale4 years ago
 hey, better safe than sorry...
bobbyrae4 years ago
It is true that you could be killed or injured from the high voltage, but it is also true that if the oven is working correctly at the time, the capacitor will discharge in about a second after the magnetron shuts off and so there is no worry in that case. I firmly believe that if that ground wire (which should normally be connected to one side of the capacitor) is present AND the unit is plugged into the wall, this will also drain the capacitor pretty quickly. So a lot of these warnings are just CYA from the lawyers. It should also be noted that while the voltage in the magnetron can 2.5kV to 4KV, the voltage from the charged capacitor has nothing to do with that. It will just discharge.