Instructables

Step 7: The magnetron

This device, the magnetron, is what heats up our foods...

There is hardly any use for this device, but the magnetron have two very large and powerful ceramic magnets! You can hack the magnetron open and extract the magnets and use them for your other projects.
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up
jupeter53 years ago
ummm... you can use the magnetron to build a micro wave gun. basically it can also be used as an EMP device so it does have a use.
Do you think you can show me how? I want to make a Sonic Screwdriver with one of those inside it.
snateraar3 years ago
Mind you, some parts of the casing of the magnetron itself like the pink-ish ring around the outlet may contain berrylium oxide which is not quite healthy.
It's safe as long as you don't inhale it though.
Yeah, as long as you don't scrap off the beryllium oxide and snort it, you should be okay.
knoxarama5 years ago
hardly any use? you can make radio transmitters with these strong enough to kill anything that walks in front of it, mostly birds. some scientist guys in the hemelayas stood in front of giant magnetrons to heat themselves up. that can't be healthy...
And I bet that they all died of cancer or had random mutations by now.
Aleksa323 years ago
plasmana how to fireup the filament? how many amp's does the transformer need? i tried with a small 6v miniature transformer and it was like a short circuit,i think that something is wrong...
In my opinion, it would be sheer stupidity to fire up an unshielded magnetron. Not only would it cause cancer, but if left on for a few seconds, and your body would look like a tv dinner that was just cooked. If you want to fire one up, use sheet metal(steel) as shielding, and be warned that electronics would be fryed and probably your hand to if you stuck it in the why of the microwave beam.
ne171pro5 years ago
Magnetron Hardly Any Use? I'm not trying be rude but your PDF here showed me how to take apart my microwave so I could get the magnetron. (not for its magnets) Anybody out here that can help wire up my magnetron. I'm really not stupid with electricity, I cant for the life of me get it to do what I'm seeing freaking 14 year olds do. I know its not broken components (have 3 taken apart microwaves.) Is it the ground wire you touch it with? Or is just some other wire not in the circuit. Man I'm so frustrated.
omnibot5 years ago
I don't believe those magnets in the magnetron are neodymium. All I've taken out, although very powerful permanentmagnets, are far from neodymiums.
Plasmana (author)  omnibot5 years ago
Yeah, neodymium magnets very often have a nickel coating to protect it from corrosion, they look a lot like ceramic magnets, but everybody else says they are neodymium magnets...