Step 4: The Guts

Picture of The Guts
C:\Documents and Settings\CJW\Desktop\Ben Photos\DSCN0722.JPG
C:\Documents and Settings\CJW\Desktop\Ben Photos\DSCN0727.JPG
C:\Documents and Settings\CJW\Desktop\Ben Photos\DSCN0731.JPG
C:\Documents and Settings\CJW\Desktop\Ben Photos\DSCN0719.JPG
C:\Documents and Settings\CJW\Desktop\Ben Photos\DSCN0721.JPG
Now that we've removed the obstacles stopping us from taking out and using the inside parts, we can get down to business. First off, turn off the power source , unplug it, etc. Then look for any capacitors. Even if they are old, they can still pack a punch if they don't have much corona leakage (Attinuation)(hope I spelled that right). Manufacture any device you like, but just make sure it keeps you far away from the discharge, and will not send a very high voltage through your puny human body. Once that's done, I like to tap around witha plastic-handled screwdriver just to make sure there aren't any more things needing to be discharged or are broken. After that, you can basically start unscrewing and detaching things. Just remember that it will go a lot easier if you plan the route you are going to take throught the machine to detach and use things. Make sure that you know how to handle dangerous things such as HV capapcitors, laser devices, strong magnets, and in the microwave's case, the magnetron. (Source of microwave radiation). Last but not least, do not overlook anything. The push-one-in , it-pushes-one-out swithces were almost thrown away, until I found that a spring inside of it was the perfect size for a magic trick gimmick. I guess since my computer won't let me make notes on some places, I'll put them here. The first picture is the guts of the microwave. The second picture it the blower that I'm converting into a workshop ventilation system. The third picture is the main transformer, and the last two are the magnetron and suuuuuuuuper strong magnets, respectively. P.S., can anyone tell me how that blower motor works, because it's near a transformer, and induction and all that crap, and anyway it's over my head. Thanks
houdini01183 years ago
if you have a variac splice a cord onto the fan leads and turn it up slowly in case you damaged the windings if it starts to smoke then throw it out if you dont have one then you could try it straight with just a cord but be very carefull.
hbell4 years ago
I think it'll work on 240VAC, most of the things in a microwave run on that, the two exceptions being the magnetron and the heater element, 2000VDC and 3VAC respectively.
seadonkium6 years ago
it runs on ac power, thats all i know