Baking pumpkin pies from scratch is somewhat of a tradition in my family, and ever since having had pies made from fresh pumpkin, I can't eat the ones made from canned pumpkin.
You can use this instructable to make a pie from canned pumpkin, but if you're planning on using a fresh one you should follow the instructions in my other instructable.
See the last page for a bonus recipe for homemade whipped cream with flavor booster.
Step 1: The Ingredients
Since you'll be baking, you'll probably want to make sure you have all of the ingredients before starting. The only thing that doesn't really count as 'from scratch' is the pie crusts, but that's because when I took the photos I was feeling lazy.
This recipe is based on one out of my mom's ancient Joy of Cooking cook book, but I've added a few things for extra flavor.
*1 pie crust. You can use the store bought kind (either graham cracker or Pillsbury) or make your own.
- 2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin (450 g)
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (350 ml)
- 1/4th cup brown sugar (30 g)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (60 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 eggs
- A pie pan
- some measuring cups and spoons
- some regular spoons for stirring
- a few assorted bowls in various sizes (about 3)
- a blender (optional, but helps)