This is an experiment that I tried beginning at the start of summer, and concluded it this weekend. Well, I actually forgot about it.
I have no experience in the field of bottling fruits, nor do I have any clue about what I am doing and how to get the best results. It is a fun way to trick your friends, and impress them.
Please let me know what works for you because I am sure others are interested as well.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
- A fruit tree with budding fruits
- Glass Bottle, either thick neck or tight neck. (It depends on how much you want to trick your friends)
- Zip ties to hold the bottle in place
Step 2: Find a Tree
Try to find a branch which can be easily accessed, and a branch with others around for some extra support.
I chose a bud that was single, and not in a bunch with others. This makes it so much easier when you are placing the bottle over the fruit. Also choose a branch that is close to another, so that you can use the second branch as support for your tying. More details in the next step.
Step 3: Place Bottle Over Tree Branch
Be sure not to break the branch, or have the budding fruit fall off. Because then you will have to start over.
*TIP*- To reduce the amount of water that gets into the bottle, you could try and secure the bottle upside down.
Step 4: Zip Ties or String
Once your bottle is in place with zip ties or string, step back to make sure it is sturdy. For the first few days continue to check the bottle often to make sure it has not fallen off.
Step 5: Wait......
Continue checking the bottle every few days, and making sure that the fruit does not become too ripe, or old and moldy. My fruit became moldy because my tree isn't made to produce fine apples, and also I did not frequently pour the water out.
After a rain storm, be sure to pour the water out of the bottle. This will result in a moldy fruit, and moldy fruits do not look pretty. (Just look below)
Step 6: What to Do Once It Is Finished
What can you do once the fruit is in the bottle?
- I am not a liquor maker, but I have read that you can add some liquor and let it ferment. I did not try this, as I am underage, and I do not condone underage drinking. For all you adults reading this; drink responsibly. Considering that your fruit will have bacteria on it, I do not recommend consuming the liquid.
- Bet your friends. "I bet I cannot fit a whole fruit inside of a bottle. Turn around and whip out the bottle." Collect your cash.