Watch the video below and visit the Design Squad website for step-by-step instructions.
Step 1: Here's What You Need to Build a Better Lunchbox!
- Container (lunchbox, cardboard box, bag, etc.)
- Insulation (i.e., newspaper, cotton balls, packing peanuts, foam, bubble packaging, etc.)
- Plastic bag that closes tightly
- Something frozen (i.e., ice pop, ice cube, etc.)
Step 2: Choose Your Lunchbox
Step 3: Insulate Your Lunchbox
- Remember, materials don’t insulate! It’s the AIR that’s trapped inside a material that insulates.
- Cover the bottom half of the lunchbox with insulation.
Step 4: Put the Ice Pop Inside
Step 5: Cover the Ice Pop
Step 6: Add More Insulation
Step 7: Close Your Lunchbox
Step 8: Wait 30 Minutes
Step 9: Still Frozen?
Step 10: Did You Know?
Step 11: Try This Next!
- Build an even better lunchbox. Use your materials differently to trap more air. Or use different kinds of materials. See if you can get less melting in 30 minutes.
- Go for longer. Build a lunchbox that can keep something frozen for an hour. It helps to pre-cool the insulation and to keep the lunchbox away from serious heat.