It took me 2 weeks to build what i think is as close to a real voxophone that will play music from the game as well as become a set of portable speakers that i can hook to my phone and other devices.
Step 1: Find a Good View
I found a good one at the street fair just before the raffle, i took a capture of it and printed it big enough to fit 4 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. after that i fit a real record on top, to see if it is the correct size. ( I used a 33 rpm LP which is 11 3/4" record. Iv since been told that a 78 rpm would be more accurate to the 1912 time period, those are 10".
Step 2: Pattern
Step 3: Layout and Cutting
After i had all the pieces cut out, i used wood glue and 1" brads to nail the pieces together.
the only parts that are not nailed are the front bottom area and a cover that will go across the bottom to hold the batteries later.
the front is attached with screws. i pre drilled them and drilled a bevel in the cover with a larger bit so that the screws would sink in level with the front panel.
Step 4: Speaker Grille
i poured the resin into the mold and let it sit overnight. in the morning i tried to sand it smooth, but it was very brittle and one side cracked off.
i started over using plexiglass i traced the pattern with a sharpie and cut it out with a jigsaw. this was a lot tougher and more resilient.
I sanded it, and painted it with chrome spray paint. it didn't stick very well so i did a layer of clear coat over it. now the paint has a shiny hard shell over it and resembles metal.
then i drilled holes to attach the grille to the front.
Step 5: Sanding, Cutting, Wiring, and Staining
After the sanding was done, i cut holes in the front for speakers and an access panel in the center. i hot glued 3" speakers in place then mounted a 3 watt amplifier from DATAKIT no. 80-900. I used 2 6v rechargeable batteries to power everything, and a $5 green usb charger to power an mp3 player and bluetooth receiver.
i wired the amplifier to all the various inputs with a rotary switch and a 5k ohm stereo potentiometer
the center of the 3 pins goes into the amp, one side goes to the source selector the other goes to ground.
i needed a large red light for the front, i think its either a power light, or it blinks brighter and dimmer with the sound level. i decided power was easier. i used a taillight i found since it looked almost like the game.
then i stained the outer surfaces and glued canvas to the inner side of the speaker grilles.
Step 6: Making the Tone Arm and Needle
I used a 1/2" bending spring to bend copper water tubing to the right shape to make the tone arm, then painted it all chrome. I then drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of the case so i could fit the tone arm to the case.
I glued a record ( in my case perry como, found for $1 at salvation army) to a large computer fan with the blades removed. i didn't get it completely centered so it rattles a bit as its going around but so far its not bad enough to redo it, and i think it adds character.
Step 7: A Little Wiring Detail
I mounted all the components inside so that they allow the record to spin, and everything fits in the case.
the completed project in action <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5-tv7iJRKac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>