This instructable shows you how to build your very own wood box, to contain bugs and plants for science experiments.
Step 1: Cut Your Wood to Length
You will need to cut 12 pieces of wood as follows:
- 4 pieces 8 inches long
- 4 pieces 11-1/2 inches long
- 4 pieces 12 inches long
Step 2: Form Two Squares
Using 2 11-1/2" pieces and 2 12" pieces, form one square as follows:
- Lay out 2 11-1/2" pieces vertically
- Lay 2 12" pieces horizontally between them at the top and bottom.
- Place a small dab of glue at the top and bottom of the 11-1/2" pieces.
- Push wood pieces together at the glue to form a square.
- Take staple gun and staple the ends where the glue is to secure the 4 pieces of wood together in a square.
Step 3: Complete the Cube
Now you need to connect the two squares with the four 8" wood pieces.First apply glue to the ends to connect them, then use the staple gun to staple the pieces together. Let the glue dry just a little bit before continuing on.
Step 4: Add Sides
- Cut out 3 pieces of cardboard rectangles to cover the front, the back, and the bottom of the cube and staple them on.
- Next cut and wrap and staple mesh netting around the last 3 sides to completely cover the cube.
Step 5: Finishing Up
Take an Exacto Knife and cut out three sides of a square on the front piece of cardboard on your cube to make a little door.
Now your cube is completely assembled and ready for some plants and bugs!