Introduction: How to Carve a Smiling Pumpking
This set of instructions explains how to carve a pumpkin that has a smiling face. Use caution when handling knives.
Step 1: Materials
• Dry erase, washable, or permanent marker
- Dry erase and washable markers are good to erase if you decide to change your design.
• Serrated knives
• Large metal spoon/scoop
• Newspaper or plastic table cloth
• Paper towels
• Bowl or trashcan
• Candle or flashlight, if you want to make a Jack-o-Lantern
Step 2: Prepare the Pumpkin
• Cover your table in newspaper/table cloth, and place materials on top.
• Wipe off dirt with a wet paper towel, and then dry the pumpkin.
Step 3: Draw a Circle
• Draw a circle – large enough for your arm and a scoop to fit through - around the stem of the pumpkin.
• Cut out the circle at an angle, so the lid will not fall.
Step 4: Cut Off the Insides
• Cut off the insides that remain on the lid, and throw them in the bowl/trash.
Step 5: Scoop Out the Pumpkin
• Scoop out the insides of the pumpkin with the spoon.
- There should be no seeds or pumpkin strings left.
Step 6: Draw the Face
• Using the markers:
- Draw two large triangles at the top of the pumpkin, close enough to each other for them to look like eyes.
- Draw a smaller triangle in the middle of the pumpkin, in between the eyes.
- Draw a smile towards the bottom of the pumpkin, adding teeth when wanted.
Step 7: Cut Out the Shapes
• Using the serrated knives:
- Cut out each shape slowly.
• Cut larger shapes (like the smile) by cutting out small segments of the shape at a time.
• Carefully clean up the shapes, to make them look better.
Step 8: Admire Your Pumpkin
• When you are finished, place the lid back on the pumpkin, stand back, and admire your work.
• If you would like to make your pumpkin a Jack-o-Lantern, add a candle or flashlight inside the pumpkin, and watch it glow.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.