In this tutorial, I will explain about how to change the DNS settings on Windows computers manually. Manually change the DNS settings are sometimes needed at any given moment. Here is a step by step how to change DNS settings manually.
Step 1: Select Your Default Connection
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Select Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change adapter settings. There will be some type of connection that is used by computers / laptops such as the Local Area Connection (connection use a the RJ45 port), Wireless Network Connections (WiFi), Dial-Up Connections and Mobile Broadband Connection if we use a modem.
- In the this example, I use a modem to connect through Mobile Broadband Connection. In the particular modems, this option does not appear and usually use a Dial-Up Connection although actually have broadband access.
Step 2: View the Connection Properties
- Choose the connection that we often used to be, for example, Mobile Broadband Connection and then right click and select Properties.
- In the Properties window that appears, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (the TCP / IPv4) and then click the Properties button at the bottom right.
Step 3: Enter Your DNS Server Address
- After IPv4 Properties window appears, click Advanced (Pic 3a).
- There will appear a new window of Advanced TCP / IP Settings and click the DNS tab (Pic 3b).
- Click the Add button, enter the DNS server address in the TCP / IP DNS Server box and click Add to enter the DNS address to the list. Click OK in each window sequentially to close and apply the settings we just created.
- You're done !
Common DNS Server Lists.
Below are some commonly used DNS server. Ping first to find out whether it is active or inactive DNS by opening a Command Prompt window. Type 'ping' followed by selected DNS server, for example 'ping 126.96.36.199' and hit Enter (Pic 3c).
- US - Google Public DNS = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - OpenDNS = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- US - Level 3 - A = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- US - Level 3 - B = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Level 3 - C = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- US - Level 3 - D = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- US - Norton DNS = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Comodo Secure = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- US - Dyn = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- US - OpenNIC = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- UK - Bulldog 1 = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- UK - Bulldog 2 = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- UK - Internap = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- UK - Fast Broadband = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- UK - BSO Network = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- UK - Time Warp = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Advantage = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- US - Qwest = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- US - Centurytel = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Sprint = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- US - SmartViper = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- US - Century = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Unotelly = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- US - AT&T DNS = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- US - CenturyLink DNS = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Hurricane Electric =7 220.127.116.11
- DE - FoolDNS = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
- BG - Mega Lan = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
- AU - Exetel = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
- SE - T3 = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
- DK - censurfridns = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
- ES - PuntCAT = 184.108.40.206
- TR - TurkTelekom = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- FR - Budget Telekom = 22.214.171.124
- US - Cisco = 126.96.36.199
- FR - Anonymous DNS - 1 = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Anonymous DNS - 2 = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- FR - Anonymous DNS - 3 = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- CH - Anonymous DNS - 4 = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
Ipv4 Security / Family Safe DNS
- US - OpenDNS Family = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- US - Norton ConnectSafe - B = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
- US - Norton ConnectSafe - C = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- US - Norton ConnectSafe - A = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168