Chopping an onion safely and without tears isn't as hard as you'd think! With a little bit of research and testing I've devised the perfect way to chop onions in any size, and in serious style!
Step 1: The NO TEARS How To's
1. Put your onion(s) in the freezer for 15 minutes prior to getting started.
2. Get yourself some rad looking goggles that give you a full seal to your face. (swimming goggles work great!)
3. Once peeled, soak your onion for 5 minutes in cold water.
4. Place your cutting board on your stovetop (make sure it's not on first) and turn the hood vent on.
Onion tears are caused by the fumes that are released as the onion is chopped. All of the above help keep the fumes from reaching your eye balls.
Step 2: Finger Safe Chopping Technique
Step 3: Let's Get Chopping!
1. Cut off the top end of your onion(s).
2. Peel the onion(s) so there is no papery skin left.
3. Soak in cold water for 5 minutes to reduce onion tears.
Step 4: Half It!
Step 5: Chop Chop!
*A map for chunky chops is at the end of this Instructable.
Step 6: Get Horizontal
Step 7: End Bit: Part 1
To keep your fingers safe, the best way to cut the end piece is to flip it down onto the cutting board before doing a few more horizontal cuts.
Step 8: End Bit: Part 2
Turn what's left of your end bit and cut until you are close to the root. Compost that last little end nub along with the top bit. And you're done! Finely chopped onions without bloodshed or tears. A major kitchen victory!!!