Introduction: How to Complete a Promotion Packet
This is a step my step walk though on putting together a Promotion Packet for soldiers in the US Army going from E-4 to E-5 and from E-5 to E-6.
(Note: all times are in reference to the time of the board.)
Step 1: Check That All Requirements Are Met
To put a promotion packet together you must meet the following criteria:
A. Have passing score on the APFT within the last 12 months and a passing height and weight within the last 6 months.
B.Have a passing score on M-16 weapons qualification within the last 12 months.
C.Have no active flags.
D.Have satisfied the time in service and time in grade requirements as per AR 600-8-19 p. 49. (See attached files)
E.Have at least 200 points for E-5 promotion including Commander’s points before submitting to the board (Points required for E-6 vary by MOS with a minimum of 450 including board points).
1. This is counted on the promotion point worksheet. (See attached files)
2. For details on what is worth points and how many points things are worth see AR 600-8-19 pp. 61-66. (See attached files)
F. Have completed WLC. (for promotion to E-6 only)
(Note:Your commander and/or UA may have additional requirements.)
Step 2: Put the Packet Together
First get all of the following documents together:
1. All Awards
2. Certificates of completion from all military schools completed since AIT
3. Transcripts from all civilian education starting with High School
4. Up to date 2A and 2-1 (See UA if not up- to-date)
5. Certificate of completion from all online military courses taken that are worth points.
6. PT card with passing score.
7. Weapons card with passing score.
8. DD 214
9. At least your last 5 NCOERs (Only promotion to E-6)
Then acquire Tabbed dividers(both with letters and numbers needed) and a Manila folder.
Finally as neatly as you can organize your document according to the Promotion Packet Composition data sheet(See attached files) into the Manila folder using the Tabbed dividers as needed.
(Note: The Promotion Packet Composition data sheet changes often therefore please see UA for most up to date version.)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.