This is probably going to be the hard part.
Snakes do a fine job keeping the world free of unnecessary rodents; don't kill them unless absolutely necessary! That said, if you do
kill a snake, or find one dead, don't let it go to waste.
The snake in this Instructable was run over by a car; Eric
found it a couple minutes later, its heart still beating, in the process of expiring by the side of the road. Since we knew both time and cause1
of death, and refrigerated the carcass promptly, it was safe to eat.
A bit of internet research
identified it as a probable Black Rat Snake, a non-poisonous Indiana resident. 1
Note that snakes can also die from eating poisoned rodents. You dont
want to eat a snake dosed up with warfarin or other toxin2
. Pay attention to context.2
It's apparently fine to cook and eat poisonous snakes- cooking is sufficient to inactivate any venomous residue.