This instructable will walk you through how to cream butter and sugar together by hand, as well as by mixer. Steps for using a mixer are in bold.
1. Place the butter out on the counter for at least an hour, or until it becomes room temperature. (This gives you time to measure out the rest of the ingredients in your recipe and preheat your oven.) The butter should feel soft, but not warm or melty. How do you know when it’s at room temperature? Give it a poke! If your finger leaves a little indent, your butter is ready, and so are you.
2. Slice the butter into cubes, and put the cubes in a large mixing bowl. Beat the butter with a wooden spoon until it is soft.
3. Add your sugar(s)to the butter and gently mash it into the butter with the tines of a fork. With your wooden spoon,stir the butter and sugar(s) until they are light and fluffy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the mixture off the sides of the bowl periodically. The butter is "creamed" when it has almost doubled in mass and it has lightened to a yellowish-white color.
You can also use a hand or stand mixer, but beating by hand is old skool and burns calories!
1. Place the butter out on the counter for at least an hour, or until it becomes room temperature.
2.Use your mixer on low to break up the cubes of butter. Then turn the speed up to medium and mix for 1 -1 1/2 minutes. Stop the mixer every so often and scrape the butter out of the beaters with a rubber spatula.
3. Set your mixer to medium speed,and begin adding the sugar a little bit at a time.I like to use a small prep bowl or measuring cup to add the sugar(s). Use a rubber spatula to scrape the mixture off the sides of the bowl periodically. The butter is "creamed" when it has almost doubled in mass and it has lightened to a yellowish-white color. Keep mixing on medium speed until the mix starts forming little peak-like ridges. This takes 6–7 minutes.
Now you have creamed your butter and sugar(s). If you want more practice,(or now you need something to do with your creamed mixture!) feel free to try my Lemon-Ginger White Chocolate Cookies .