Step 15: Challenges
Those last two setbacks were quite minor, I found the biggest setback when I noticed that I hooked up the green and yellow LEDs up to the IRL510's the wrong way! That is why my project lacks the functionality to control the lemon and the bottle. Now I just hardwired them in so that they are both completely on all of the time, but that takes a lot of fun out of the project. Once again, I fixed that in the PCB so that anybody who makes this project does have that functionality.
The error is posted in the photos to this step, but it happened because I had the LEDs connected to the source of the IRL510's and then grounded. Now I thought that this would work, but for some reason when I'd supply +5v from the PIC to the gate of the MOSFETs, the MOSFETs wouldn't allow enough current through and the LEDs wouldn't light up. So I got out a breadboard and started trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. Then I connected it up so that the LEDs were connected to the drain of the MOSFETs and voila! When I'd put +5v on the gate of either IRL510, their corresponding LEDs would light up. I should have wired it up this way from the start.