Introduction: How to Create a Money Lei
How to create a money lei using 100 $1 bills! A great alternative graduation lei.
Note: Takes considerable time.
Step 1: Equipment and Materials
100 Crisp New $1 Bills (you can get change from any bank)
Balloon Curling Ribbon
Invisible Scotch Tape
3 Clear Straws
Plastic Sandwich Bag
Double Satin Gift Wrapping Ribbon
Step 2: Straw Pieces
Cut the straws up in small pieces, about 1/4 inch thick, and store them in the plastic sandwich bag.
Step 3: Folding the Dollars
1. Fold the bill horizontally to make a crease and open it up - this will make it easier to find the center later.
2. Fold the bill back and forth to create fan pleats.
3. Fold the fan in half, as shown in the picture.
Step 4: Preparing the Ribbon
1. Draw about 14 feet of ribbon - does not have to be exact. There will be leftover which will be cut off.
2. Clench the ribbon in half and crease as shown in the picture.
3. Double knot the closed end - this is where the money lei will begin.
Step 5: Adding the First Bill
1. Place the folded bill in-between the two ribbon strands after the knot.
2. Make two knots to hold the bill in place. The bill does not have to be tightly held.
3. Affix a small piece of tape on one end and attach it to the other end. Repeat on the other side to complete a fanned circle. Don't be afraid to maneuver the bill to keep the center in place.
Step 6: Continuing the Lei
1. Insert a straw piece through the ribbon - this will uniformly space the bills and provide structure.
2. Place another bill in-between the two ribbons.
3. Repeat how to tie and tape the bill as described in the previous step.
4. Continue adding straws and bills until 100 $1 bills are secured.
5. When the 100 $1 bills are completed, tie the lei together and cut off the excess ribbon - this is where a decorative ribbon can be attached.