1. Prepare your face: Put on moisturizer and any foundation; apply concealer on your eyelids to prime them; add blush.
2. Start with the base shadow: Cover your lid and the crease with a medium shade.
3. Add a darker layer: Work the shadow in the upper third of the lid, starting at the outside.
4. Add the darkest layer: Using a contour brush, work the darkest color into the crease, making a "V" around the outside corner.
5. Finish with the highlighter: Sweep on the brow bone and the inner corners of the eye.
6. Apply eyeliner: Apply along the top edge of the upper lash line and bottom edge of lower lash line.
7. Soften: Use a contour brush to soften the eyeliner, and a sponge or cotton swab to clean up any stray marks.
8. Finish: Curl lashes, add mascara and any lip color.
TIP: You can make a smokey eye with any color family. The secret is to go from lighter to darker shadow as you go from lid's lower edge to crease.