You don't need a curling iron to get perfect curls you’ll love! Next time you are looking for a new, fun hairstyle, pull out your flat iron and get these amazing results!
Hair style was done by Sharelle Loudd at Beautique Salon in San Jose, CA. She was awesome enough to demonstrate this secret technique while we documented the process. We hope these tips will help you make the most of your long natural hair.
Thanks to audreyobscura for the beautiful photography.
Step 1: What you'll need
Step 2: Comb Out and Pin Up Hair
Take a half inch section from the nape of her neck and spray with oil sheen. Oil sheen helps with the glide of the flat iron over the hair. Go ahead and smooth the oil sheen through the body of the hair.
Tips for Curling Hair:
- Wrap as if you were using a curling iron (don't close the flatiron completely).
- Use less heat for blonde hair and scale up as hair darkens.
- You can tell if you're putting enough heat in with the flatiron by feeling the hair. It should feel warm, which lets you know that the heat is reaching all of the hair.
- You can't put too much hair in at once, or it'll be too too tough.
- Don't do the tips of your hair until the end, as they require the least amount of heat to retain the curl.
Here is just the motion you will be using as you twirl you wrist to turn the flat. Check your pulse, twist, look at your watch, twist, repeat: