Introduction: How to Desolder Headers
Quick guide for beginners who want to desolder male headers from any development board
I'll be demonstrating the process I use with Adafruit's Feather OLED
Improvements, Compliments, Questions are all welcomed!
Step 1: Cut the Joints of the Headers
-Use flushed clippers to cut where the headers are joined together
Step 2: Clean Out the Black Plastic
- After cutting , remove the black plastic with some needle nose pliers
Step 3: Remove the Golden Pins
- Clean the tip of your soldering iron
-Tin your soldering iron
- Add a glob of solder to the pin holes then touch the glob to easily slide off the pin
*(this technique helps prevent burning the copper pad from the board)
Step 4: Clean Up Using Solder Wick
- Clean out any solder blobs by using solder wick to absorb the excess solder
Step 5: Verify No Crucial Pins Have Been Damaged
-Inevitably some pins might be de-coppered (the copper pad was burned off) check none of these pins were crucial to making the board function properly
-The OLED feather wing uses I2C so I need 4 pins (PWR,GND,SDA,SCL)
- Fortunately none of these pins were de-coppered!
Step 6: Finished!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.