These instructions break the shotgun down into 10 parts. Move your cursor over the parts on image of the disassembled shotgun to see the names of the parts.
Note: You should be familiar with the operations of the shotgun (i.e. Loading and unloading) before undertaking this task.
Step 1: Clear the shotgun
1. Make sure the safety is on (safety button pushed reward with no red dot showing)
2. Check the magazine tube to ensure it is clear of any shells
3. Open the Action
a. Depress action lock lever
b. Pull rearward on the forearm
4. Check the chamber area to ensure it is clear of any shells
The shotgun is now clear and it is safe to begin disassembly.
Step 2: Remove the Barrel
2. Unscrew (counter-clockwise) the takedown screw
3. Pull forward on the barrel
Note: The Mossberg 500 comes with interchangeable barrels allowing the operator to switch to a barrel that better suits their intended uses. To change barrels simply remove the barrel that is to be changed and attach the desired barrel.
Danger: Barrels of different models and calibers should not be interchanged. This can cause serious malfunctions in the firearm’s operation endangering the operator and those nearby.