Go to the 2009 Halloween contest and enter to win one of dozens of prizes in six categories!
Results are up!
Halloween is our favorite day of the year, so we've joined up with PopSci, MAKE, [http://www.craftzine Craft], and our friends at American Science & Surplus and Cool Neon to run a mega-contest we're calling DIY Halloween!
Halloween is the perfect maker holiday: an excuse to decorate and make costumes, carve pumpkins and throw fantastic parties. A day for the ghoulish and gruesome, for the gross and fantastic. A day for testing out your roof-busting T-Rex, building an LED Throwie Rat, serving up a toddler toddy, or seeing exactly how far you can hurl a flaming pumpkin.
Halloween is the best time of year to be the friend who can sew and decipher patterns, weld, glue, tape, or find stuff in dumpsters. Check out the 2006 contest winners or MAKE's Halloween edition if you need some inspiration!
Whatever your taste, DIY Halloween is all about making the holiday your own. Simply build something awesome, and we'll help you share it!
Just add your Instructable to the DIY Halloween 2007 group. We've got several categories, and your project may qualify for one or all of them- our judges will decide.
To make it even easier to join the party, we're also accepting your stand-alone pictures and videos! This gives you more ways to win even if you can't document the whole project.
All entries, including Instructables, photos, and videos, are eligible for the main prizes! The more detailed your entry, the more likely you are to win- if you can do an Instructable, you should. The Photo & Video Exclusive prizes are only open to (surprise!) photographs and videos.
Grand Prize: A trip to the 2008 Maker Faire in San Mateo, CA! Includes airfare, hotel, and tickets for one lucky winner! Also, your choice from the First Prize packages!
First Prize:one (1) winner in each category
Choose from three prizes:
-Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2" Driver Drill Kit
- Wusthof Classic Hollow-Ground Santoku Set of 7" and 4" knives, Wusthof Classic 9" Bread Knife, and a sharpener
-Cool NeonEL Wire kit!
Plus a $50 gift certificate from American Science & Surplus, a limited-edition Instructables Halloween pumpkin t-shirt and stickers, the MAKE category prize, and a copy of MAKE's Halloween edition.
Second Prize:two (2) winners in each category
A $50 gift certificate from American Science & Surplus, a limited-edition Instructables Halloween pumpkin t-shirt and stickers, the MAKE category prize, and a copy of MAKE's Halloween edition.
Third Prize:three (3) winners in each category
A limited-edition Instructables Halloween pumpkin t-shirt and stickers, and a copy of MAKE's Halloween edition.
Pictures & Video Exclusive:two (2) winners in each category
A limited-edition Instructables Halloween pumpkin t-shirt and stickers, the MAKE category prize, and a copy of MAKE's Halloween edition.
MAKE category prizes:
Hack-O-Lantern: MAKE warranty voider or MAKE bomb defuser leatherman tool.
Costumes: DIY Laptop bag by Skooba and year one or year two of MAKE.
Food: a year of Craft and a sushi wallet kit.
Decorations, Haunted House, Gadgets & More: MAKE controller kit for First and Second prizes, a MAKE t-shirt for the Picture & Video prizes.
Hack-o-Lantern Contest: grab the nearest pumpkin (real or faux) and get to work. These make great photo entries, but if you do something especially inspired it could be turned into a full Instructable!
Costume Contest: show off your homemade costume. Whether it's freshly sewn, repurposed, or assembled from your last dumpster-diving trip, we want to see it. Again, this could be a great photo entry or a full Instructable.
Gadgets and Decorations Contest: show us how you made your surroundings spooky, take some pictures and video, and show us how it's done.
Food Contest: The grosser the better! What if you served this at your Halloween party and nobody ate it? Well, we'd probably give you a prize!
Step 1: Official Rules
2. Participants agree to abide by all decisions of Instructables, contest co-sponsors, and judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to this contest.
3. Prize is not transferable and no cash alternative or prize substitution is available. Instructables and contest co-sponsors reserve the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value if the prize listed is unavailable for any reason. All potential winners are subject to verification at the discretion of Instructables and contest co-sponsors.
4. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and Instructables and contest co-sponsors make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
5. Instructables and contest co-sponsors are not responsible for problems including (but not limited to) damaged, incorrect, inaccurate, lost, delayed, or defective entries, or for injury or damage to any computer resulting from participation in this contest. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void.
6. Instructables reserves the right to modify, cancel, postpone or end the contest at any time as necessary, at its sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner, at its sole discretion, deemed to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this contest.
7. Instructables reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of the Terms of Service; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; to be acting in a unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you represent and warrant that: you are over the age of 18, or entering with the knowledge and permission of your parent or guardian (subject to verification), and that the entry does not contain or incorporate the intellectual property and/or confidential information of any third party.
9. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you hereby grant Instructables and co-sponsors Popular Science and MAKE Magazine a perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty free right to publish and distribute your entry for their promotional purposes.
10. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the official rules, or the rights of entrants, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the substance laws of the State of California and any applicable laws and regulations of the United States.