Have you ever had a nice bird house just fall down from its tree? Or maybe you just want to give an old bird house a nice new look. If you do, this tutorial is for you. Today, I will be showing you how to fix a broken bird house and give it a nice new look.
Step 1: Disassemble
The first step is to disassemble your bird house.
- Be sure to take a picture of the bird house before disassembly
- You might want to take pictures while taking your bird house apart
- You could also take notes
- This will help you put your bird house back together
- A pliers, a hammer, and a screw driver work very well for getting most screws and nails out
Step 2: Repair
The next step is to repair any damaged pieces.
- Glue together any broken pieces using wood glue
- Clamp the pieces together to hold them tight and in place while the glue drys
Step 3: Rejuvenate Your Wood
After you have repaired the damaged pieces lets restore the bird house.
- To do this we will sand every surface of each piece
Step 4: Replace or Reuse
After you have all the nails and screws taken out you can see for yourself that some of them are not worth reusing. I found some new nails and eye screws that will work perfectly for me, but maybe you are able to reuse your nails and screws. In that case, to remove rust or discolor you can rub steel wool or sand paper on them.
Step 5: Reassemble
After you have repaired and restored all of your wood we can start putting the bird house back together.
Step 6: Make It Last
Before we finish assembling the bird house we will make it last hopefully much longer then before we fixed it. To make the bird house last we will stain and seal the wood.
- Using a paper towel to coat the wood with the stain works very well
Step 7: Finish Assembly
After staining the wood we can finally finish the bird house by adding the rest of the roof. We also add the new eye screws on the top for hanging.
Step 8: Done!
After all that work we are finally done with our new, old bird house. We fixed the broken pieces, sanded and stained the wood to make it last, and kept the charm of the old well designed bird house.
Thank you for checking out my project and hope you can now fix up one of your old/broken bird houses.