Step 26: Beets and Steak and Purple Cabbage Slaw - Purple Day Lunch
Beets and Steak:
Roasted beets, chopped (use the instructions from this beet salad recipe)
2 onions, chopped
handful garlic, chopped
1.5 lbs stew beef, chopped
beef boullion cube
2T red wine
~3T coconut cream (Or sour cream, though you'd have to add it later - just before serving.)
Salt & pepper
- Saute onions with garlic, salt, and pepper until soft
- Brown beef, and add boullion cube
- Deglaze with red wine, and add coconut milk.
- Add beets, and simmer until all is hot and cooked through.
- Adjust seasonings and serve warm.
Purple Cabbage Slaw with blue berries:
Use a food processor with grater attachment to shred a small head of purple cabbage and 1/2 a purple onion. This is your base; anything else you add is to your taste. Here's what I used.
- 1/2 cup hummous (Mayo would also work as a fat/binder, but we were out.)
- 1 beet, diced small
- 1t dijon mustard
- 2T coconut cream
- 2T sweet pickle relish
- 3T frozen blueberries
- salt & pepper
There were probably more interesting things, but I didn't write them down at the time.