To make asparagus soup, you will need:
2 1/2 lbs asparagus
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
6 cups low-fat milk
Whole wheat croutons (for garnish)
2 tablespoons of grated gruyere
Salt and pepper
1. To prepare the asparagus, snap or cut off ends and discard them. Wash asparagus and cut in equal pieces for even blending.
2. Set a pot on high heat and place cleaned asparagus in saucepan along with the milk.
3. Stir gently and cover the pot. Once simmering, add the chicken stock powder or crumble in stock cubes and bring slowly to a boil while stirring.
4. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Sprinkle in some fresh ground pepper and sea salt
6. Now place your butter into a small pot and melt it on the stove until totally liquid.
7. Keep stirring your soup from time to time while checking on the butter.
8. Once your asparagus are tender, blend using a hand blender until chunky. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can mix soup in batches in a blender or food processor, then return to pot.
9. Now add the melted butter into the flour and mix well.
10. Pour flour and butter mix into the soup and stir well.
11. Raise heat to bring back to the boil and cook until simmering. Stir often.
12. Pour soup into bowls to serve.
13. Squeeze a bit of lime juice into each bowl and stir.
14. Garnish with croutons and grated gruyere.
15. Your asparagus soup is ready to be served. Bon appétit!