Introduction: How to Make Cauliflower Tortillas
In this instructable I will show you how to make creamy cauliflower tortillas. Maybe you think cauliflower tortillas is that possible? Yes it is and they are great. Why? Because they are a great substitute when you are gluten intolerant but also great when you are not gluten intolerant but like to try something different. How? Simple, all you need is grated cauliflower and eggs. What do they taste like? These tortillas are like that cool kid on the block. I’m telling you, you will be amazed at the taste and so will the rest of your family. The texture slightly resembles corn tortillas but the taste cannot be compared. So what are we waiting for, lets get started!
Start by grating the cauliflower extra fine, like fine grains of rice, in a food processor. Next you need to warm the cauliflower to make sure all of the moisture is getting out. You can choose to use the microwave but I know a lot of people are no fan of the micro so you can put it in a steamer or put the cauliflower in a non plastic sieve and put it on top of a pan with boiling water to steam. When the heating/steaming is done put the cauliflower in a kitchen towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out all of the excess moisture. Warning! The moisture from the cauliflower can be very hot so be careful when twisting the moisture out.
Now all you have to do is add whisked eggs to the cauliflower and turn it into a creamy batter like consistency. Shape the tortillas on a baking tin and in the oven they go. To give them a nice brown glow bake them in a hot pan or griddle with out oil or butter. Keep a close watch because they brown easily. If you like you can add salt and pepper to taste. I totally forgot to use salt and pepper this time but frankly I didn’t miss it. Goes to show that it is all personal preference.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 medum eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 2: Instructions
- Grate the cauliflower fine and put it in a bowl.
- Put it in the microwave for 4 minutes (stir after 2 minutes) or let cauliflower steam for 5 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 400℉ / 200℃.
- Put the cauliflower in a kitchen towel and squeeze out all of the moisture. Be careful this can be very hot.
- Transfer the cauliflower into a bowl and stir through.
- Whisk two eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add about half of the egg mix to the cauliflower and stir.
- Add the remainder of the eggs to the cauliflower and mix some more.
- Put parchment paper on baking tin.
- Shape the cauliflower into a tortilla using a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let is cool slightly.
- Heat a non stick pan to medium heat (no oil or butter required)
- Bake the cauliflower in the pan until nice and brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately.
Step 3: Notes
This recipe makes 6 tortillas. Be careful when squeezing out the moisture from the cauliflower. This can be very hot! Can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. If you use large eggs add about 1¾ of the egg mix else the cauliflower will get to wet.
if you are wondering where I got the cute wooden taco holder? I made them my self from beechwood, check out this instructable to see how you can make them as well.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some questions or suggestions then let me know via the comments.
Step 4: Watch the One Minute Video
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.