Introduction: How to Make Classic Beef Tacos
In this instructable I will show you how to make classic Beef Tacos. You will love these tacos and go back to this recipe again and again. The grounded beef is organic, the sauce is thick and the taste is rich of flavor. Simply everything you need in classic beef tacos.
The biggest secret how to make the best organic beef tacos lies at first in the lean organic ground beef and secondly in turning the meat into a ragu similar to a Bolognese sauce. You need to give the meat time to absorb the flavors of the ingredients. This takes times.
When I make the sauce for these tacos I start out with the grounded beef. As the meat has enough fat no additional cooking product is required. First let the meat brown before you start adding the vegetables. The grounded beef will release fat and liquid that will soften the bell peppers and onions when you add them.
After you added the garlic the next step is to add the right spices. I use two spices but you can add more of your favorites spices and herbs if you like. The spices I use are Cumin and Chili pepper. I do not use tomatoes or tomato sauce at all, only tomato puree or paste.
Once the sauce thickens and the meat and vegetables absorb the flavors the sauce will become red and rich like Bolognese sauce. To finish the sauce I add some vegetable stock to give the sauce more depth. The last ingredient is a can of kidney beans. I drain the liquid from the can first before adding the kidney beans to the meat stew. Stir it thoroughly and then let it simmer. At least 30 minutes but preferably for an hour.
Warm some crunchy taco shells in the oven before putting two or three spoonfuls of ragu in the taco. Dress it up with grated cheese, sour cream, guacamole (see instructable) or a smooth red roasted tomato salsa (see instructable). These beef tacos can be eaten with white rice or the perfect side dish red hot tex-mex rice (see instructable).
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the organic grounded beef tacos? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 200 grams ground beef
- ½ finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 tin of 80 grams of tomato puree
- 1 can of 250 grams of kidney beans
- 6 hard-shell tacos. You can use store bought tacos or make tacos yourself by following my previous instructable.
Step 3: Instructions
- Heat a pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and use a wooden spatula to move the meat around in the pan until it is brown.
- Add the bell pepper and stir through the meat.
- Then add the onion and garlic. Stir until soft.
- Sprinkle the chili powder on the meat mixed and stir before adding the cumin.
- Now add the tomato puree.
- Keep stirring while you add the vegetable stock.
- Lastly add the kidney beans to the mixture and let it simmer for at least 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Warm crunchy corn tacos and divide the beef mixture over the taco shell.
Step 4: Notes
I do not use any baking product as there is a lot of fat in the ground beef. Once the beef starts to brown the fat will be released and able to soften the bell pepper, onion and garlic. You can substitute vegetable stock for chicken or beef stock. I do not add additional salt and pepper as the stock contains salt and I use chili powder. Of course you can add salt and pepper to taste.
The best organic beef taco sauce freezes very well. However separate from the corn tacos as they will get soggy when you defrost the sauce and heat them again.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.