Introduction: How to Make Crispy Ginger Beef
I show to make crispy ginger beef, a westernized version of a Chinese dish made from beef and ginger. The western Canadian version generally consists of deep-fried beef strips coated in a crunchy batter and covered with a sweet, spicy sauce that is reminiscent of other Asian sauces based on vinegar and sugar. It also contains flavours of ginger, garlic and hot peppers, and is commonly served with a small amount of julienned carrots and onions in the sauce. As with many dishes, the invention of ginger beef is claimed by several restaurants and chefs. However, the most widely accepted origin attributes the dish's development during the mid-1970s by Chef George Wong at the Silver Inn in Calgary, Alberta. There are many variations on ginger beef that can be made, and although they all share the same basic ingredients they can taste somewhat different from each other. If this doesn’t taste like what you get from your local take out store just play with quantities of ingredients a little and you should get close. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_beef)
Step 1: Ingredients/Materials
- 1 Pound Beef
- 1 Carrot
- 3 Dried Red Chilli Peppers
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Minced Ginger
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- Skillet /Frying pan
- 2 Eggs
- Cup Water
- 1 Cup Cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
Step 2: Directions
1. Slice beef into matchstick strips, cutting along the grain. (The meat is easier to cut if it is partially frozen).
2. Cut the carrot and bell pepper into thin strips. Mince the ginger, garlic and dried red chilli peppers.
3. Mix the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg white and add water. Add cornstarch. Mix the batter thoroughly. Drop the meat in to the batter. Heat wok. When heated, add 4 - 5 cups of oil. When the oil is ready, add 4 -5 pieces of the meat at a time. Deep-fry the beef until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Let the oil come back to original temperature and add more meat.
5. Heat and add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok. When oil is ready, add the ginger and stir fry for 10-15 seconds. Then add the garlic and chilli pepper, fry for 10-15 seconds. Add the carrots and bell peppers then begin stir-frying. Pour in the sauce and let come to a boil and reduce in volume. Add the deep-fried beef. Toss quickly, and remove.
Step 3: Tips for Making Crispy Ginger Beef
1. To make it extra crispy, deep-fry the beef twice. This technique is often used in restaurants where they prepare a batch of ginger beef and set it aside. When a customer places an order, a portion is deep-fried again.
2. Don’t put all of the meat in the pan at once. It will lower the temperature of the oil. Start with adding about 4 or 5 pieces of the meat at a time.
3.Mix the batter thoroughly. Test with chopsticks or a wooden spoon – it should just drop without sticking.
Step 4: Watch the Video
(The video may not show up for mobile viewers)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.