This recipe is a classic one and is a holiday favourite in many countries around the world. This particular eggnog recipe is a tried and tested traditional family recipe made many times, not just for the holidays but also during the year on any occasion.
Those out there who are first timers not yet hooked on being an 'eggnogaholic' then this is probably the eggnog recipe you should start with as it is considered to be very close to the original traditional recipe (as many variations as there might be out there) from all reports.
Classic Eggnog Ingredients
- 6 eggs (separate whites and yolks)
- 600ml thickened cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until creamy then add vanilla and nutmeg and continue beating for a further minute. Place this mixture aside
- In a second large bowl beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then fold in the yolk mixture. Add the cream and milk gradually and continue folding in then start to add the brandy and rum a little at a time, stirring all the time until well mixed.
- Can be served immediately or left to refrigerate if you prefer it chilled. If you refrigerate make sure to mix it again before serving. Sprinkle with freshly ground nutmeg to taste.