Introduction: How to Make Enchilada Sauce
In this instructable I will show you how to make vegan enchilada sauce. You can use the sauce with regular enchiladas, but you can also use this sauce in a enchilada bowl. Add it to your tacos or include it into a burrito. This sauce has organic ingredients and is vegan,
Making a sauce from scratch can be a daunting task but just like with many other recipes once you have done it and see how easy it is to make yourself you are wondering why you are still buying these sauces from the store. They are convenient and easy as you open the bottle or packet and put it in a pan. But store bought sauces usually contain a lot of salt and taste enhancers.
When you make your own sauce you can determine how many salt and other taste enhancers you are using.This sauce does not contain any added salt. The vegetable stock has salt so no need to add additional salt.
Further this sauce is so worth it to make from scratch. The taste is amazing and I promise you will want to make this recipe over and over again. It is not call the best vegan enchilada sauce for nothing.
To start the sauce you have to make a roux. You can do this using butter or vegetable sun flower oil. I used the latter and start with two table spoons of vegetable oil, two table spoons of organic flour and mix these together over low to medium heat. Add splashes of stock when the mixture is to dry. When the roux is cooked start adding the herbs and spices like: cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, parsley and oregano.
Mix thoroughly while adding vegetable stock. Beat the sauce with a whisk or spoon as the flour can turn into lumps. Lastly you can add the tomato puree and let the sauce simmer and let the sauce thicken. It is ready to use.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the vegan enchilada sauce? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose organic flour
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon parsley
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup sieved tomato sauce
Step 3: Instructions
- Heat a small pan over low to medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of all purpose organic flour through the oil. Let it simmer and add small splashes (the size of a table spoon) of stock to the mixture until you get a smooth sauce.
- Now add the spices and herbs the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and parsley.
- Keep on stirring with a whisk while adding the 2 cups of vegetable stock to prevent lumps from forming.
- When all the vegetable stock is added let the sauce simmer for a minute before you add the tomato sauce.
- Then let the sauce simmer for 15 minutes until it thickens.
Step 4: Notes
The chili powder I use is quite hot there for I use only ½ tablespoon. If you use a mild chili powder you can add more e.g 2-4 tablespoons.
You can store this sauce in the fridge for up to a week in air tight containers. This sauces freezes well and can be stored in the freezer
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.