Step 1: Find Your Flash Media
1. Flash Drive 512MB-64GB
2. Memory Cards
3. MP3 Players(NOT iPods)
4. External Hard Drive
5. Cell Phone Memory
If you know of any other flash devices that could be used please tell me. Not all of the devices above will always work, it will depend upon the specifics.
Step 2: Finding the Right Flavor
1. BackTrack 3 (My personal favorite, but I don't recommend it to a first time Linux user) http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html
2. Ubuntu 8( This is the all around best Linux OS) http://www.ubuntu.com/
3. SLAX ( The best OS for small devices) http://www.slax.org/
4. DSL ( The absolute smallest Linux OS 50MB)http://damnsmalllinux.org/
5. OPHCRACK ( a Linux based password cracker)http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
Once you have decided what flavor of Linux you want to install onto your bootable media you will need to download the ISO. You can usually get this at the OS's website or on a Google search.
If you have downloaded the Linux ISO you are ready to move onto the next step.
Step 3: Get UNetBootin!
Once you have downloaded it you will need to run it.
1. You need to select the Diskimage option
2. Click "..." to tell it where you downloaded you ISO image to
3. This is the most important part and where you could potentially harm your devices. Make sure you select the right drive name that you want to add the Linux OS to.
4. Finally click OK to start
Once it is finished it will ask you to restart your computer. You don't have to do this step but if you want to get right into your new OS you will need to.