Bamboo sushi-roll mat
Wood spoon or plastic rice paddle
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups uncooked Japanese medium grain rice*
4 cups water
2 square sheets of sushi nori
1 cheese stick
Wasabi (Japanese horseradish)
*Alternatively use avocados, tuna, imitation crab sticks, etc for ingredients.
Cucumber: Wash, peel, and seed cucumber.
Cheese: Slice in half length wise, then cut into long, slender strip.
Step 1: Preparing the Sushi Rice
NOTE: Start preparing the rice approximately 2 hours before you want to make the sushi rolls.
1. Wash rice, stirring with your hand, until water runs clear.
2. Drain rice in colander and transfer to a rice cooker; add 4 cups of water. (If you don't have a rice cooker, place rice and water into a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let rice rest, covered, for 15 additional minutes.)
3. When the rice is done cooking, transfer to a large bowl; loosen the rice grains gently with a wooden spoon or plastic rice paddle by cutting and folding. (Do not stir, as this will crush the rice.)
4. Mix the rice vinegar, sugar and salt together.
5. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the hot rice, mixing as you sprinkle, and then let it cool.
NOTE: Sprinkle the vinegar mixture while the rice is hot; otherwise the rice will not absorb the vinegar well.