Introduction: How to Make Fried Shrimp Cakes
Hola buenos dias! In this instructable I will show you how to make savory fried shrimp cakes. Fried shrimp cakes are called tortillitas de camarones in Spain. The tortillitas are crispy because they are pan fried and tasty because they are made from organic chickpea flour. The savory flavor is a result of shrimp and scallions.
The fried shrimp cakes consist of two main ingredients, (dried) shrimp and chickpea flour. Add some scallions and parsley and you are done. Prepare all of the ingredients and chop the scallions, parsley and paprika. If you use large shrimp you can chop them into small pieces else you can leave the shrimp as is. Combine all the ingredients with water and use a large spoon to shape the tortillitas into small cakes. Make sure the tortillitas are thin because they will not get crispy but more chewy. These tapas should be crispy. I didn’t use salt but you can add a pinch of salt to taste to make it more flavorsome.
The tortillitas de camarones are pan fried in vegetable oil so I agree that this not a healthy snack but this is so delicious you have to try it as a cheat meal. These freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave or in some vegetable oil or warm pan.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the savory fried Shrimp Cakes? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 1½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup small pink shrimp or dried shrimp
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 3 spring onions or scallions, cut finely into small rings
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1-2 cups of vegetable oil for pan frying (add more when needed)
- 1 cup of water
Step 3: Instructions
- Put 1½ cup chickpea flour in a bowl.
- Add the paprika powder and parsley.
- Stir thoroughly the flour mixture before adding the water and stir some more.
- Then add the scallion and stir.
- Add the shrimp and stir as well.
- Heat a skillet on medium to high heat.
- Take two spoons and scoop the batter into the oil. Press them down in the oil so it becomes a think crisp small pancake.
- Pan fry for about 2 minutes or when golden brown, then turn the tortillitas de camarones.
- When done take the tortillitas out of the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve immediately.
Step 4: Notes
The mixture should look like a thick batter.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.