Introduction: How to Make Healthy and Delicious Peanut Butter Cookies for Dogs
As an avid dog lover, I have spent far too much money on dog treats at various stores. When my dogs started gaining weight I began to pay more attention to the content of what I was feeding them. I was surprised by the fat content in some of the common dog treats. I wanted to find a tasty treat for my dogs that is low in both fat and cost. Every dog I have met loves peanut butter but it is not very healthy to feed them globs of peanut butter even though they enjoy having sticky mouths. These cookies are both simple and inexpensive to make. You do not have to be an experienced baker in order to successfully make these delectable dog treats. If this is your first baking experience it may take longer but the preparation time is usually about 20 to 30 minutes and then add 20 minutes for baking time.
Step 1: Step 1 - Preparation
1. Gather the following materials
- One large mixing bowl
- One mixing utensil (rubber scraper or large spoon)
- One large cutting board
- Two baking sheets (depending on the size of cookies you make)
- Cookie cutters (or you can cut out any shapes you want)
- Rolling pin
- Two tablespoons of oil (you can use either vegetable or corn oil)
- One-half cup of peanut butter (any brand is fine)
- One cup water
- One cup whole wheat flour
- Two cups white flour
Step 2: Step 2 - Combine Ingredients
- One-half cup peanut butter
- One cup water
- Two tablespoons oil
2. Add each of the three cups of flour one at a time (in any order) mixing after each one.
Note: The last cup of flour is more difficult to mix because the ingredients become dry.
3. Knead the dough with your hands until it is in a firm ball.
Step 3: Step 3 - Roll the Dough
1. Sprinkle some white flour onto the cutting board and put the ball of dough on top of the flour.
2. Sprinkle some additional flour onto the ball of dough.
3. Using the rolling pin, flatten the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
Tip: If you don't have a rolling pin, I found you can always use something of similar shape, such as a wine bottle.
Step 4: Step 4 - Cut Cookies
1. Use cookie cutters of any shape and cut shapes out of the dough.
Tip: If you don't have any cookie cutters or want a different shape feel free to be creative and cut out your own shapes.
2. After cutting as many shapes as you can in the dough, knead the remaining dough into a ball. Then, sprinkle flour on both sides and flatten the dough to about 1/4 inch and start cutting again. Repeat this process as many times as it takes to use up all the dough.
3. Place the cut out cookies onto a baking sheet. I usually end up using two baking sheets but it depends on the size and amount of cookie shapes you come out with.
Note: Do not grease the baking sheets before putting the cookies on them.
Step 5: Step 5 - Bake
1. Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Note: Cookies will look drier and some will bubble slightly when done.
2. Let the cookies sit until cool to the touch.
Warning: Let cookies cool completely before trying to touch. The baking sheets will be extremely hot when taken out of the oven.
3. Use as a tasty treat when your dog is good or when you feel generous.
Tip: I suggest you store the cookies in a sealed Tupperware container so that they do not get dry and hard. Also, if you make more than one batch you can store the cookies in a freezer and thaw as needed.
Now you know how to make simple and delicious dog treats that any dog will love. This recipe ends up making around 2 to 3 dozen depending on the size of cookie you choose to make. You can double or even triple the recipe for more dogs or to give to your friend's dogs. These are a great alternative to buying expensive treats from the store. These will take less time and money and your dog will love you even more.