Introduction: How to Make Homemade Corn Tortillas
Corn tortillas are a very popular dish in Mexico. They are delicious, easy to prepare and go great with soups, rice, beans, and salsa. You can also use them to prepare authentic Mexican dishes such as tacos and enchiladas. This recipe yields about 10-12 tortillas and takes about 20 minutes.
Step 1: You Will Need:
• 2 cups of masa harina. This can be found at any supermarket or Latin market. I suggest getting the “Masteca” brand.
• 1-1/4 cups of warm water
• A medium sized bowl
• 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Each piece should be big enough to fit around the tortilla press
• A tortilla press. This can also be found at any Latin market. They are typically made of cast iron or aluminum.
• A non-stick skillet or griddle
• Electric mixer (optional)
• 2 Moist towels
Step 2: Preparing the Dough
1. Place masa harina in the medium size bowl. Create a well in the middle of the harina.
Step 3: Preparing the Dough
2. If you are using an electric mixer
Add all of the water immediately in the center of the well. Mix on medium speed using the paddle attachment until harina and water are combined and forms a dough ball.
If you are not using an electric mixer
Add water to the center of the well. Using either you hands or a wooden spoon, combine harina into the center of the well and mix until all of the water is absorbed.
Step 4: Preparing the Dough
3. Form the harina-water mixture into a ball. If the ball sticks to your hands, add a teaspoon of masa harina. If the ball is dry and crumbly, add a teaspoon of water. Continue this process until your ball is soft and smooth.
Step 5: Preparing the Dough
4. Cover the dough ball with a moist towel so it doesn’t dry out. Preheat skillet or griddle to medium-high heat.
Step 6: Pressing the Tortillas
6. Take one piece of plastic wrap and wrap it around the bottom of the tortilla press. Take the other piece of plastic wrap and place it around the top of the press.
Step 7: Pressing the Tortillas
7. Break off a piece of tortilla dough and form it into a ball about the size of a golf ball. Place a small piece of dough in the center of the tortilla press.
Step 8: Pressing the Tortillas
8. Close and slowly open the tortilla press. Remove the flattened dough.
Step 9: Cooking the Tortillas
9. Place flattened tortilla on the skillet for about 45 seconds, or until the edged being to curl.
Step 10: Cooking the Tortillas
10. Flip the tortilla with a spatula and cook for another 30 seconds, or until small bubbles appear on the surface of the tortilla.
Step 11: Cooking the Tortillas
11. Store cooked tortilla on a plate and cover with a moist towel. Repeat steps 7-10 until dough is gone.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.