Programming the Arduino is pretty simple. Through a couple of small programs, your simple LED circuit will be dancing to the beat in no time.
1. Connect the Arduino to your computer with your A to B USB cable (your computer should install its driver automatically) - see image 1.
2. Download the Arduino Software Environment from here
and extract it to a folder (no installation required, just keep the folder in a safe place).
3. Download the Processing Software Environment from here
and extract it to a folder near your Arduino SE folder.
4. Download the Arduino library for Processing from here
, and copy it into your Processing/libraries folder.
5. Run the arduino.exe program in your Arduino SE folder.
6. Go to File -> Examples -> Firmata -> StandardFirmata, and press the Upload button on the Arduino SE (see image 2).
7. Wait a few seconds, until your RX/TX LEDs on your Arduino stop blinking (which means the Firmata firmware is installed).
8. Download and unzip the attached folder of code below (BeatWrite.zip).
9. Copy an .mp3 file into the "data" folder of the unzipped BeatWrite folder.
10. Open Processing (processing.exe), then open the BeatWrite.pde file in the BeatWrite folder.
11. Edit the line of code "song = minim.loadFile("freebird.mp3", 2048);". Instead of using "freebird.mp3", use the filename of your mp3.
12. Hit the Run button on the top-left (see image 3).
Sit back, and enjoy the light show!