Introduction: How to Make Loose Leaf Tea
Tea Pot (Preferably Tetsubin)
Loose leaf tea
Microwave and microwave safe cup
1. Fill your tea pot with about 12 ounces of water (a cup and half).
2. Pour the water from the teapot into microwave safe cup.
3. Make sure cup fits in microwave and if not pour into cups that do.
4. Place microwave safe cup into the microwave and heat to boil. Typically 3 min per 8 oz of water.
5. While the water is reaching a boil, open your tea and measure out your tea using a teaspoon. (Note: Depending on the size of your teapot, you will only need 1 teaspoon of tea per 8 ounces of water, so for this project, use one and a half teaspoon of tea)
6. Place measured amount of tea into the tea strainer.
7. Open the top of the teapot and place tea strainer into the top of the teapot.
8. Once the water is boiling and steps 4-6 are complete, remove the water from microwave. (Note: water and steam will be very hot use oven mitts)
9. If you are making Oolong tea go to step 10, Green tea go to step 11, Black tea go to step 12, Red/Rooibos tea go to step 13, White tea go to 14.
10. Oolong Tea is best steeped (left in the hot water) at 190 F for 5 to 8 minutes
11. Green Tea is best steeped (left in hot water) at 150-160 F for 2-4 minutes (Note: Green tea is very fragile if left in water longer than 4 minutes then the tea will become bitter)
12. Black Tea is best steeped (left in hot water) at 208 F for 4-6 minutes
13. Red/Rooibos is best steeped (left in hot water) at 212 F for 4-6 minutes
14. White Tea is best steeped (left in hot water) at 180 F for 4-6 minutes
15. Once water has reached the desired temperature for the specific tea you are steeping, pour the hot water into the teapot.
16. Cover teapot and steep for designated time
17. Once done steeping, remove tea strainer from the teapot and set the strainer aside (Note: may be very hot). Pour Tea into a mug.
Enjoy! (Note: May be very hot)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.