For less than a dollar and using common kitchen equipment, I want to show you how you can make a 12 oz batch of moisturizing lotion. That's even cheaper than your Wal-mart petroleum-based generic brand. Best of all, it is easy and fun!
Skin care lotion is nothing more than an emulsion of oil and water. As an introduction to this wonderful and useful craft, let's make a simple lotion with just olive oil, water, and emulsifying wax. Here's what you need to make approximately a 12 fl oz batch.
For more information on homemade skin care, check out our website blog at Wabi Sabi Baby.
Step 1: Tools and Ingredients
- 1-cup glass measuring cup
- 2-cup glass measuring cup
- saucepan just large enough to fit the 1-cup measurer
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup emulsifying wax, available at some craft stores or online.
Step 2: Water Bath
Step 3: Melt Oil and Wax
Step 4: Heat Water
Step 5: Combine
Step 6: Cool Slightly and Pour/Package
Step 7: Shake Well
Step 8: Ways to Customize
- Substitute 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the water with glycerin to make a hydrating lotion.
- Substitute or combine the olive oil with other oils such as almond oil or coconut oil
- Add essential oils. Use 1 - 5 drops per fl oz of lotion