Introduction: How to Make Mini USB Drill
A USB drill is a very useful and must have tool for every hobbyists. In this Intructable, i decided to make a DIY mini USB drill that can be easily made at home by anyone just with very few components. This Mini USB drill is useful for drilling PCB boards, bakelite, cardboards and wood. The USB drill can be powered by any USB mobile charger or a mobile powerbank.
Note: It is recommended to not use this drill with the USB port of your PC or laptop to prevent any damage to the USB port of the system.
Step 1: Watch the Video
A video is a great tool that provides deep insight into the procedure and makes the tutorial interesting as well as easy to understand. However, you can also visit next steps for additional details and pictures.
Step 2: Order Parts
- DC motor high RPM - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Mini Drill Chuck - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Mini Drill Bits - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Toggle Switch - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- IN4007 Diode - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Hot Glue Gun - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Soldering Iron - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- DC motor high RPM - http://amzn.to/2wnIVEH
- Mini Drill Chuck - http://amzn.to/2vkuhRH
- Mini Drill Bits - http://amzn.to/2vkEGgw
- Toggle Switch - http://amzn.to/2v1GNmD
- IN4007 Diode - http://amzn.to/2fO86x7
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2rDrNZp
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2r3IX6g
- DC motor high RPM - http://amzn.to/2wdEyQS
- Mini Drill Chuck - http://amzn.to/2w58HRI
- Mini Drill Bits - http://amzn.to/2wdFuom
- Toggle Switch - http://amzn.to/2wdSyd1
- IN4007 Diode - http://amzn.to/2vHlHvX
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2rjNE9r
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2qC47qG
From Home and Local Store: Cardboard, connecting wires and an old USB cable.
Step 3: Prepare the Motor
- Cut a piece of thin Cardboard of about 1.5cm x 1.5cm.
- Using Hot Glue, Paste the cardboard piece on the DC motor.
- Paste a toggle switch at the centre of the cardboard as can be seen in the attached images.
- Cut a USB cable from the end opposite to the USB plug.
- Identify the power wires out of 4 wires in the USB cable (generally of black and red colour) and also, identify the data wires.
- Cut both the data wires as we will only be using the power wires in the USB cable.
Note: You can also identify the wires using a multimeter (in conductance mode) as the PIN 1 and PIN 4 are the power pins on a USB port.
Step 4: Make Connections
- Connect a wire from the USB cable to the toggle switch.
- Connect another wire from USB cable to a motor terminal.
- Connect a IN4007 rectifier diode in forward bias between the remaining motor terminal and the toggle switch.
- Attach the Mini Drill chuck on the motor shaft and tight all the screws using the provided Allen Key.
Note: In order to protect the USB port from the back EMF (Electromotive Force) of motor, it is important to connect a rectifier diode to the motor terminal.
Step 5: Test Mini USB Drill
- Insert the drill bit of required size in the mini drill chuck.
- Connect a mobile powerbank (or a mobile charger) as a power source.
- Our mini USB drill is ready to use.
So friends, this here concludes the instructable, make this wonderful DIY mini USB drill at home and don't forget to share your experiences in the comments section below. Stay tuned and Follow me on instructables to receive regular updates. In case you might have missed, watch the video and see how i made this Mini USB Drill at home.
Make this wonderful gadget tool yourself and contact us or share your experiences on our facebook page, twitter and instagram. You can also SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube Channel GOODTECH - Creativity And Science, where i frequently post new and creative content.
Thanks For Your Support..!!