Introduction: How to Make Mom's Lemon Chicken
This instructable will guide you through 7 easy steps to make Mom's Lemon Chicken.
Mom knows you're hungry and would never make you wait too long on dinner. So, she's made this recipe able for you to have ready in just about an hour!
Mom also understands that not everyone watches Rachel Ray as religiously as she does. So, she's made sure that anyone can make her savory lemon chicken, no matter how talented you consider yourself in the kitchen!
Be sure to follow Mom's instructions carefully for best results, and take her tips and warnings to heart; Mom wants the best for you!
Fortunately, I just happen to know this Mom. So, I can assure that you will not be disappointed with the result of this meal!
Let's get started!
· 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
· 1 Stick of butter
· 1 Box of chicken stock (26oz)
· 2-3 Large fresh lemons (depending on how lemony you like it)
· ½ Small red onion
· 4 Large cloves of fresh garlic
· 1 Package of fresh mushrooms
· 1 Handful of fresh spinach (10-20 leaves)
· ¼ Cup of olive oil
· 1 Handful of salt
· 1 Handful of fresh ground pepper
· Large mixing bowl
· Large skillet
· Cutting board
· Large chopping knife
· Measuring cups (1 cup & ¼ cup)
· Large plate
· Large pot
Step 1: Prepare Ingredients
Tools To Use: Cutting board, chopping knife
· Slice ½ small red onion.
· Finely chop 1 handful of spinach (10-20 leaves).
· Chop 4 large cloves of garlic.
· Wash mushrooms & trim stems (if preferred).
· Halve lemons.
Step 2: Prepare Chicken
Tools to Use: Chopping knife, cutting board, measuring cups, large mixing bowl
1. Trim fat off of chicken breasts.
*Tip: After trimming, immediately blot each chicken breast with a paper towel.
This will help the flour mixture stick better.
2. Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in skillet (or enough to coat the bottom of your skillet) on medium heat.
3. Dump 3 cups of flour into large bowl.
4. Season flour with one handful of salt and one handful of fresh ground pepper.
Note: One handful is approximately 3 table spoons.
5. Mix flour, salt, and pepper together.
6. Dredge (coat) chicken breasts in flour mixture one at a time.
Note: Make sure the surface of each chicken breast is completely covered in flour mixture, see picture 6.
Step 3: Pre-cook Chicken
Tools To Use: Large skillet, large plate
1. Add chicken to skillet when oil is hot.
*Tip: To see if oil is hot enough to add chicken, run your fingers under water and splash into skillet. If oil sizzles, it is hot enough.
**WARNING- Hot oil can cause injury to skin. Stand back when splashing water into skillet.
2. Cook chicken on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Note: Chicken should start to produce a nice brown crust, see picture 2.
3. Flip chicken to other side and cook for another 5 minutes.
*Tip: If you do not see a brown crust on chicken, turn the heat up a little and cook a few minutes longer.
4. Remove chicken from skillet onto plate.
*Tip: Keep juice and crumbs in skillet for extra flavoring in sauce.
Step 4: Prepare Sauce
Tools To Use: Large skillet
1. Melt butter in same skillet.
2. Add garlic & onion to skillet.
Note: You should begin to smell a strong aroma of garlic & onion before proceeding to the next step,
and garlic should start to brown.
3. Add chicken stock, spinach, and mushrooms to skillet.
*Tip: Scrape bottom of skillet after all ingredients are added to loosen crumbs into sauce mixture for extra flavor.
Step 5: Simmer Chicken in Sauce
Tools To Use: Large skillet
1. Replace chicken in skillet with sauce.
*Tip: Scrape any juice from chicken left on plate into the skillet for added flavor.
2. Squeeze lemon juice from 2 fresh lemons over chicken.
*Tip: Squeeze lemons right side up so that the seeds do not drop into the skillet, see picture 2.
Note: It is OK if some of the fruit of the lemon squeezes into the skillet as well. This will simply add more flavor.
*Taste sauce after simmering a few minutes. Squeeze in juice from third lemon if a more lemony taste is desired.
3. Simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes.
*Tip: Flip chicken to other side every 10 minutes to keep moist.
Note: The longer the chicken simmers, the more tender it will be.
*Sauce will begin to thicken.
Step 6: Cook Pasta
Tools To Use: Large pot, colander, measuring cup (1 cup)
Note: Complete this step while chicken is simmering in skillet.
1. Heat 8 cups of water on high.
2. Add pasta to water once it is boiling.
3. Cook 10-12 minutes, or until pasta is tender to the taste.
**WARNING-Pasta will be hot and may cause injury to mouth. If testing for tenderness, let pasta cool a few minutes
4. Drain pasta in colander, over sink.
Step 7: Serve
Tools To Use: Plate, ladle, fork, knife, and your big appetite!
1. Transfer desired amount of pasta from colander onto plate.
2. Place chicken breast and pour sauce over pasta.
*Tip: Use a ladle to pour sauce over chicken. This way, you'll get an even distribution of onions, mushrooms,
and spinach on your plate.
Congratulations, you have just made Mom's Lemon Chicken!
If you liked this, look for more of Mom's quick and easy recipes in the future.
Now all you have to do is dig in and say, "Thanks Mom!"